I decided to join in on the blog hop that started on May As Well Event and has been making the rounds. This was super hard. I don’t find myself all that interesting and got to maybe 12 before I had to go re-read everyone else’s posts to get ideas of what to talk about.
30 Facts About Me:
1. I graduated from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a degree in Modern Languages and Literature. It’s a degree that is basically combining a Spanish major with a secondary language minor. This means I’m fluent in Spanish and conversationally fluent in French.
2. As part of my major, I studied abroad in Spain for a semester. I studied in the Basque country in Bilbao. I loved being in Europe, but honestly wish that I had gone through a different program. All the members of the group were mostly there to drink and party. I don’t do either of these things. Our classes were segregated from the Spanish students there and I feel like that was a big portion missing. I was fluent enough that I could have easily slid into a normal class at the university. I don’t regret it, but I wish the program had been different.
3. My ultimate goal for my language skill is to be pentlingual. I’ve got three down and am currently teaching myself Japanese.
4. I have never lived outside of CA. Each time I’ve moved, I have moved progressively more south in the state. Redbluff, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo for school and now San Diego.
5. I was born blue from being in the birth canal for too long. I put my mother through almost 24 hours of labor. She reminds me of this often. Luckily, I suffered no ill effects from this incident. (No one has told me otherwise. lol)
6. I have only one sister and am grateful it wasn’t more but a huge, talented extended family. Both my dad and my mom have several siblings and most of them have 2-5 children each. One of my cousins almost was in the Olympics for gym in 2016 but didn’t want to move away and do the crazy training they all do. She beat almost all the girls on that team in most of the individual events and all round as well. She was something like 3rd in the nation at one point. Another cousin works for DreamWorks. He worked on large films like Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon. I’ve got a cousin who’s a lawyer, one who is an actress/model, one who regularly travels the world. It’s not hard to develop an inferiority complex in my family. lol
7. I raised market sheep for 4-H for four years growing up. It was hard at first but I figured out how to not get attached to them as they were going straight to market. I still won’t eat straight up lamb. Kebobs are the only exception.
8. I currently work from home as QA for a software company. It’s lovely to work from home but my job is not so lovely. It pays a lot for very little overall effort so it works for now. Definitely not what I want to do in the long run.
9. I have a huge needle phobia. I tried to run out of the Drs office when I was 12. I can’t watch needles on tv nor in person even if it’s not going in me. I was in an equine science class in college (for fun) and was at the front of the group cause horses when the professor handed me a capped syringe while he got a horse out of a stall for a vaccination demonstration. I had to focus super hard to not drop the syringe or pass out from fear.
10. I didn’t get ears pierced until 18 mostly due to the needle phobia. No matter how much I told myself it wasn’t a needle, I couldn’t separate the fear from the action. I almost managed to get it done a few months before I actually did it but when I was sitting in a chair there was a dad trying to convince his daughter that she didn’t actually want to get her ears pierced. He joked that they were going to use a super huge thick needle. I noped right out of there so I wouldn’t have a panic attack. My mom wanted to punch the guy in the face. I have no other body modifications though would love to get one tattoo. I even know what I’d get and where I’d put it but don’t think anyone would do it on someone drugged out of their mind to deal with it.
11. I had melanoma at 21 and surgery the week after diagnosis to remove it. I’m ethnically several different pale northern European countries so I’m really freaking pale. And have moles. So predisposed to skin cancer. yay… I’m absolutely obsessed with keeping myself protected from the sun now. I’m constantly wearing SPF 70 with SPF 50 sunshirts when outside. I love the sun but it does not love me back.
12. I love reading. I will giggle maniacally when I exit the library with a haul just because I’m so happy to have a new stack of books. My current favorite authors are Patricia Briggs, Anne Bishop, and Tamora Pierce. I will loan out my favorites and will do my best to get anyone hooked on reading. I will find a book you will like! I also read super fast so my library having a checkout limit of 40 is fantastic. I can read a full normal sized fantasy book in about 3-4 hours. Of course, I do nothing else during that time but pee and drink but its a lovely 3-4 hours. 🙂
13. I love writing. I write in my journal, I write in this blog and I write fiction. I’ve been writing stories for forever. I wrote fanfiction back in junior high and high school. In college, I really tried to write original pieces but never made it past the beginning. Last October was the first time I wrote a full novel length story. I currently have one and a half novel-length stories written. Being an author is my dream job and I’m working hard to make it happen.
14. My hobbies outside of riding and reading are video games and watching anime. I’ve been playing video games for a long long time. My favorite cousin introduced me to them in the Nintendo 64 era and I was gone. I like the types that have more story elements involved (RPG for those others who play them) or some type of overall goal to achieve. Anime I picked up in junior high and really enjoyed. I actually met my husband through a college club related to anime so it’s been a good thing in my life. 🙂
15. I did all the sports in school. Basketball, soccer, volleyball, track and field, cross country, tennis. The only large one I didn’t do was swimming because we didn’t have a pool at any of my schools so the swimming team was very small.
16. I’ve run two half marathons. I set them as goals more so to push myself to actually work out. I don’t necessarily regret doing them but running that distance is difficult and moves from fun to painful and boring.
17. All my workouts end up being in my home, running or riding. I hate gyms. I like the equipment in them but something about the atmosphere throws me off. I can find classes I like at studios and such but that is very dependent on the group of people and the feel of the place.
18. The worst injury I’ve ever had was either my bruised tailbone or a weird bruise/swelling on my knee/upper shin area that I got from falling on the goat ladder. I’ve never broken a bone or even sprained anything.
19. I don’t drink alcohol. None of my friends really do so its not a social thing for me and I don’t like the taste of almost anything. Super sweet mixed drinks and some hard ciders are about it. I think it’s kinda a waste of calories unless it’s really necessary for a social situation.
20. I’ve been riding since I was 8, though I got on a neighbors pony a few times around 4 or so. I don’t count that cause I didn’t really do anything on my own. That’s almost 20 years worth of riding. My college years were sparse in regards to riding time as I didn’t have my own horse and could only afford some lessons here and there.
21. I’ve only ever owned one horse, Scarlet, in two different chunks of time. (I really need to write about the actual story in full. It’s quite the story. )
22. I have literally no preference in color for Future Horse. I think some are prettier than others but color is literally not even on the list of things to consider.
23. My horse related dreams are to someday get all the way to a Grand Prix jumping class. I don’t need to win or even place. I just want to be able to safely and competently get around the ring. It’s a very big dream and I need a lot more money before this even becomes a possibility.
24. My husband is the only guy I’ve ever dated. I didn’t intentionally avoid dating but I didn’t ever find anyone that I really liked. It was hard to be attracted to guys when they honestly couldn’t hold a conversation. I like talking and getting to know people. There was one guy in high school who I dated for maybe a week but that doesn’t count given how short it was.
25. I’m a pretty picky eater when it comes to veggies/squash. The texture is a huge problem for me. My husband has worked steadily to expand my pallet for foods where the texture isn’t a huge turnoff and it has worked. I can now eat a lot of spicy dishes and more variety than I have previously. It’s quite nice because I’m able to try restaurants and new styles of food without being concerned that I won’t be able to eat anything.
26. I love baking but not cooking. I can make delicious sugary, chocolately, carby things when baking. I wish I had a bunch of friends close by I could give food to because then I could bake more often. Otherwise, I eat it all on my own.
27. I like watching shows but I have a terrible time sitting still through them. It’s hard for me to actually sit down and finish watching them. However, I like things on in the background while I work so I generally have something on youtube streaming (generally gaming related). We have Netflix but won’t bother with an actual tv subscription until we can pick and choose channels.
28. My memory is really really good for absorbing things (probably why languages work well). Don’t challenge me on Disney or harry potter facts. =P I can probably tell you the whole of a book’s story if you start me with a title and author. My aunt quizzed me once on a book that took me no time to read and I got everything correct.
29. I am a fantastic listener. I’ve been told this by many many people and I tend to be the default for my friends to rant to. You want someone to listen and just commiserate? That’s me! You want someone to listen and figure out ways to resolve the issue? That’s also me!
30. I’m terrible at self-motivation. It is the bane of my existence and something I am constantly trying to overcome. Self-motivation is super duper important for working out, writing, riding etc. I know I need to improve so that I can meet my own goals but it is so hard. When there is no one but myself to disappoint, it is very easy to let myself slip. I am getting better. I’m good at habits so if something becomes a regular thing for me, I’m more likely to keep it up for forever.
So there we have it. 30 things about me. Some of them may have been talked about on the blog already. I’m super open to sharing things and don’t remember talking about any of these in detail. Hope you all learned some more about me!